EPS (Expanded form of Polystyrene) remains the most preferred material for the industries due to its availability.Lack of expertise and awareness that lead to overuse of EPS in packaging, Décor items and disposable cutlery. EPS is recyclable; however the cost of recycling is too high for non-producers to invest in the required machinery. The end point for most EPS is inevitably the landfills or the sea, where fish and shark consume it. EPS has no recyclable economic value. From the workers involved in making it, its users, right down to the casual labourers burning it in landfills, EPS poses serious health hazards for everyone associated with it. When burned, Styrofoam releases more than 90 different hazardous chemicals. The vapour that is released from styrene can affect the senses, particularly the eyes, and can also negatively affect the central nervous system.
Making EPS involves lot of steps and requires sophisticated machineries, utilization of power, water (Steam), metal patterns and many vehicles to transport it from the production facility to the user. Making a prototype for any new product requires a die (mould) which cost around 2 to 3 lakhs depending on the product design, density required and most of the cases these moulds remain unused due to frequent design changes in the products or fast pacing consumer electronics market. EPS moulds can not be produced at the user’s facility due to the capex required (Around INR 20 Lakhs to 35 Lakhs for the machinery) and space requirement depending on the production capacity, storage area, etc.
Carbon emissions affect the planet significantly, as they are the greenhouse gas with the highest levels of emissions in the atmosphere. Emission factors in kg CO2-equivalent per unit for EPS is 3.07 to 4.50 kg.
If not EPS, then what?
FOAMplus® Hand Packer1 is the ideal solution for special challenges, including those posed by bulky and heavy packaged goods as well as products with complex contours. The handy foam gun allows you to accurately fill the carton with foam packaging in mere seconds – for customized blocking and bracing and the perfect transport of packaged goods.
Foam pre-molded cushions can also be conveniently formed in advance with FOAMplus® Hand Packer1. The microprocessor-controlled foam packaging system is extremely efficient, requires minimal maintenance thanks to the self-cleaning mixing chamber, and ensures seamless, cost-effective foam production in consistently high quality.
FOAMplus® Hand Packer1 Machine
Software guided, self diagnostic controls Built in timers . . and constant process control.
• All electric operation; no compressed air
• system meets major international product safety standards.
• The electric pumps and self-diagnostic controls
• Produces protective packaging of consistent quality
• The device mixes two liquid components to produce (H)CFC-free polyurethane which expands and hardens in a matter of seconds.
• Lowest CAPEX: Machine cost is only INR 8.5 Lakhs & requires only 30 Sqft space for machine & consumables.
• Ideal solution for in-house moulding application with very less investment (INR 15000 to INR 35000) in developing a mould for each new product.
• Moulding stations can be multiplied, integrated in order to achieve the required productivity.
• Disposable-end of lifecycle: most of the PU foams are used as fuel in kiln and thermal power plants due to its high calorific value and remaining are crushed by mechanical processes to use as a filler in adhesives or ash brick making, etc.