Canada is regulating six categories of single-use plastic product. The provisions in the new law will be implemented in phases, starting in December 2022.
On June 22, 2022, Canada issued its Single-use Plastics Prohibition Regulations (SOR/2022-138, the Regulation) to prohibit the manufacture, import and sale of six categories of single-use plastic:
- Checkout bags
- Foodservice ware
- Ring carriers
- Stir sticks
The new law contains, among other items, several important provisions:
- Defines these six-categories of single-use plastics as products made entirely or in part from plastic
- Exempts single-use plastic flexible straws – these are single-use plastic straws having a corrugated section that allows the straw to bend and maintain its position at various angles
- Requires any physical characteristics of single-use plastic check out bags, single-use plastic cutlery, single-use plastic flexible straws, single-use plastic foodservice ware or single-use plastic straws to be analyzed by an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited lab where the accreditation body is a signatory to the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation Mutual Recognition Arrangement (ILAC MRA), or under the Environmental Quality Act. Additionally, the analysis of the physical characteristic test must be accredited, otherwise the analysis must be performed in accordance with standards of good scientific practice
- Provides a temporary exemption on manufacture, import and sale for the purposes of export, for all categories of single-use plastics until December 19, 2025 – 42 months after the Regulation is registered
- Requires record keeping by manufacturers for export, or imports for the purpose of exports, for at least five years at the person’s principal place of business in Canada or at any place in Canada where they can be inspected
The provisions in the new law will be implemented in phases, starting December 20, 2022.
Highlights of the new law are summarized in Table 1.
Canada Gazette, Part II, Volume 156, Number 13, June 22, 2022
Single-use Plastics Prohibition Regulations: SOR/2022-138, Registration: June 20, 2022
||Prohibited (manufacture or import)¹||December 20, 2022|
|Prohibited (sale)²||December 20, 2023|
||Prohibited (manufacture or import)||December 20, 2022|
|Prohibited (sale)||December 20, 2023|
||Prohibited (manufacture or import)||June 20, 2023|
|Prohibited (sale)||June 20, 2024|
¹Single-use plastic flexible straws are exempt
SGS technical experts have extensive knowledge and testing experience in materials and articles in contact with food. They work to ensure that your products meet the appropriate regulations for food contact materials, paving the way for compliance. From overall migration tests to expert advice on emerging regulations, compliance issues and documentation review, SGS is the partner to trust. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Discover more on our website.
For enquiries, please contact:
Dr. Hingwo Tsang
Global Information and Innovation Manager
t: (+852) 2774 7420
© SGS Société Générale de surveillance SA- 2022 – All rights reserved – SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Société Générale de surveillance SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.
SGS SA published this content on 15 July 2022 and is solely responsible for the information contained therein. Distributed by Public, unedited and unaltered, on 15 July 2022 14:43:10 UTC.
Technical analysis trends SGS AG
|Short Term||Mid-Term||Long Term|
Income Statement Evolution
|Number of Analysts||20|
|Last Close Price||2 228,00 CHF|
|Average target price||2 591,94 CHF|
|Spread / Average Target||16,3%|
|1st jan.||Capi. (M$)|
|SGS AG||-28.09%||16 667|