Today Extra host Sylvia Jeffreys has defended Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, saying it took courage for them to stand side by side with the Prince and Princess of Wales at Windsor Castle on Saturday (pictured) despite hostility from the public and the press

Today Extra host Sylvia Jeffreys has defended Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, saying it took courage for them to stand side by side with the Prince and Princess of Wales at Windsor Castle on Saturday despite hostility from the public and the press.

‘I can’t help but think that would have been a really threatening environment for Harry and Meghan, or at least daunting,’ Jeffreys said on Friday.

The 36-year-old was discussing how Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, had put on a united front with William and Kate as they took the Long Walk to meet grieving members of the public following the Queen’s death last Thursday. 

Today Extra host Sylvia Jeffreys has defended Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, saying it took courage for them to stand side by side with the Prince and Princess of Wales at Windsor Castle on Saturday (pictured) despite hostility from the public and the press

Today Extra host Sylvia Jeffreys has defended Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, saying it took courage for them to stand side by side with the Prince and Princess of Wales at Windsor Castle on Saturday (pictured) despite hostility from the public and the press 

Jeffreys had expressed support for the Sussexes earlier in the week, after the royal couple faced backlash over the release of Prince Harry’s new memoir. 

Harry drew the ire of royal critics after reports claimed his autobiography will still be published as planned in November despite Queen Elizabeth’s death.

It has since been claimed the book won’t be published until next year.

Reacting to the criticism on Wednesday, Jeffreys said the ‘negativity’ being levelled against the Sussexes had made her physically ill.

'I can't help but think that would have been a really threatening environment for Harry and Meghan, or at least daunting,' Jeffreys (right, with co-host David Campbell) said on Friday

‘I can’t help but think that would have been a really threatening environment for Harry and Meghan, or at least daunting,’ Jeffreys (right, with co-host David Campbell) said on Friday 

‘I am starting to feel sick about the negativity around Harry and Meghan this time,’ she said during an interview with feminist commentator and author Jane Caro. 

‘History is repeating [itself] in so many ways with Harry, whose grief as a child was owned by others,’ Jeffreys added, referring to the media frenzy surrounding the death of his mother Princess Diana in August 1997 when he was 12 years old.

‘Once again it is been owned again, and he is being criticised for grieving in a way that others aren’t happy about.’

Jeffreys had expressed support for the Sussexes earlier in the week, after the royal couple faced backlash over the release of Prince Harry's new memoir

Harry and Meghan are pictured at Windsor Castle on Saturday, following the death of Queen Elizabeth II

Jeffreys (left) had expressed support for the Sussexes earlier in the week, after the royal couple faced backlash over the release of Prince Harry’s new memoir. (Right: Harry and Meghan are pictured at Windsor Castle on Saturday, following the death of Queen Elizabeth II)

Harry drew the ire of royal critics after reports claimed his autobiography will still be published as planned in November despite Queen Elizabeth's death. It has since been claimed the book won't be published until next year. (The Sussexes, right, are pictured with the Prince and Princess of Wales, left, at Windsor Castle on Saturday)

Harry drew the ire of royal critics after reports claimed his autobiography will still be published as planned in November despite Queen Elizabeth’s death. It has since been claimed the book won’t be published until next year. (The Sussexes, right, are pictured with the Prince and Princess of Wales, left, at Windsor Castle on Saturday)

Reacting to the criticism on Wednesday, Jeffreys (right, with Campbell) said the 'negativity' being levelled against the Sussexes had made her physically ill

Reacting to the criticism on Wednesday, Jeffreys (right, with Campbell) said the ‘negativity’ being levelled against the Sussexes had made her physically ill

Caro agreed, saying: ‘I am actually really over the “hate Harry and Meghan” stuff. I think it’s nasty.’

‘Here is a bereaved young man who has such tragedy in his life. When he lost his mother, I will never forget that little boy marching behind that coffin with that message that said “Mummy”. I feel like, can we all back off?’ she added. 

Caro said Harry likely has ‘no control’ over when is memoir is released due to his contract with publisher Penguin Random House, and has therefore been unfairly accused of being insensitive.

Feminist commentator and author Jane Caro (left) agreed with Jeffreys, saying: 'I am actually really over the "hate Harry and Meghan" stuff. I think it's nasty'

Feminist commentator and author Jane Caro (left) agreed with Jeffreys, saying: ‘I am actually really over the “hate Harry and Meghan” stuff. I think it’s nasty’

'Here is a bereaved young man who has such tragedy in his life. When he lost his mother, I will never forget that little boy marching behind that coffin with that message that said "Mummy". I feel like, can we all back off?' Caro said. (Pictured: Harry and Meghan arriving at Buckingham Palace in a hearse carrying the coffin of Queen Elizabeth II on Tuesday)

‘Here is a bereaved young man who has such tragedy in his life. When he lost his mother, I will never forget that little boy marching behind that coffin with that message that said “Mummy”. I feel like, can we all back off?’ Caro said. (Pictured: Harry and Meghan arriving at Buckingham Palace in a hearse carrying the coffin of Queen Elizabeth II on Tuesday)

The segment ended with a warning from Jeffreys about the so-called ‘narrative’ surrounding the Sussexes’ feud with The Firm.

‘It will be very interesting to see how history looks back on all of this, and the narrative around it,’ she said.

It comes as speculation continues to swirl about Harry’s memoir. 

The segment ended with a warning from Jeffreys about the so-called 'narrative' surrounding the Sussexes' feud with The Firm. 'It will be very interesting to see how history looks back on all of this, and the narrative around it,' she said. (Pictured: Harry and Meghan in New York City on November 10, 2021)

The segment ended with a warning from Jeffreys about the so-called ‘narrative’ surrounding the Sussexes’ feud with The Firm. ‘It will be very interesting to see how history looks back on all of this, and the narrative around it,’ she said. (Pictured: Harry and Meghan in New York City on November 10, 2021)

Royal commentator Tom Bower, whose biography of Meghan Markle was released earlier this year, on Wednesday claimed the Duke of Sussex was ‘insisting’ on the original release date of his memoir being honoured.

‘I am told tonight that Harry is insisting that his book is published in November,’ he told GB News.

‘Apparently the publishers are not too certain, but he says if they don’t publish it will be a breach of contract. That’s what I’m told. It’s extraordinary. But on the other hand, it fits the bill, because Harry and Meghan’s finances depend entirely on the book and on Netflix.’

‘And also, I think they are convinced they’re in the right and they want to get their own back,’ Mr Bower added. 

Royal commentator Tom Bower, whose biography of Meghan Markle was released earlier this year, on Wednesday claimed the Duke of Sussex was 'insisting' on the original release date of his memoir being honoured. (Pictured: Meghan and Harry in Sydney on October 19, 2018)

Royal commentator Tom Bower, whose biography of Meghan Markle was released earlier this year, on Wednesday claimed the Duke of Sussex was ‘insisting’ on the original release date of his memoir being honoured. (Pictured: Meghan and Harry in Sydney on October 19, 2018)

However, a source close to the Duke has since denied Bower’s claims. Penguin has previously announced Harry will be donating proceeds from the book to charity. 

Penguin Random House has described the book as ‘a heartfelt memoir from one of the most fascinating and influential global figures of our time’.

The publisher’s website says: ‘Prince Harry will share, for the very first time, the definitive account of the experiences, adventures, losses, and life lessons that have helped shape him.

The publisher's website says: 'Prince Harry will share, for the very first time, the definitive account of the experiences, adventures, losses, and life lessons that have helped shape him. (Pictured: William and Harry at Windsor Castle on Saturday)

The publisher’s website says: ‘Prince Harry will share, for the very first time, the definitive account of the experiences, adventures, losses, and life lessons that have helped shape him. (Pictured: William and Harry at Windsor Castle on Saturday) 

‘Covering his lifetime in the public eye from childhood to the present day, including his dedication to service, the military duty that twice took him to the frontlines of Afghanistan, and the joy he has found in being a husband and father, Prince Harry will offer an honest and captivating personal portrait, one that shows readers that behind everything they think they know lies an inspiring, courageous, and uplifting human story.’

Harry said he hopes his story will ‘help show that no matter where we come from, we have more in common than we think’.

Penguin Random House has not yet released a statement on whether the explosive release will be delayed in light of Queen Elizabeth’s death.

However, a source close to the Sussexes told The Telegraph this week the memoir will not be published until next year.

Penguin Random House has not yet released a statement on whether the explosive release will be delayed in light of Queen Elizabeth's death. (Pictured: the Queen in October 2020)

Penguin Random House has not yet released a statement on whether the explosive release will be delayed in light of Queen Elizabeth’s death. (Pictured: the Queen in October 2020)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.