Danone’s ambitious plan to ‘turn the tide on global heating’

The French food company and one of the world’s largest dairy companies revealed ambitious plans to reduce absolute methane emissions from its fresh milk supply chain by 30% by 2030.

Danone expects to remove 1.2 million tons carbon dioxide equivalent of methane emissions by 2030 and said it has already cut its methane emissions around 14% between 2018 to 2020.

It said it will focus on working with farmers to implement regenerative dairy practices and develop innovative solutions.

The company will also launch a partnership with Environmental Defense Fund, a global non-profit environmental organization working in nearly 30 countries. This alliance will see Danone work together in such areas as improved science, data and reporting standards, innovative financing models to help farmers of all sizes, and catalyzing industry and policy leadership through advocacy.

Methane emissions make up 25% of Danone’s full scope emissions. Fresh milk represents around 70% of Danone’s methane emissions. The remaining 30% is made up by indirect dairy ingredients.

A reduction in methane emissions will have immediate benefits for the climate that reductions in carbon dioxide cannot achieve on their own, according to the IPCC2. Dairy production from cattle makes up an estimated 8% of total human-caused methane emissions, as part of agriculture and livestock activities which represent approximately 40% of global methane emissions.

Danone works directly with 58,000 dairy farmers across 20 countries and has already supported projects for dairy farms in 14 countries, through its regenerative agriculture program, initiatives such as Farming for Generations and with Danone Ecosystem.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *